In the spirit of being healthy I must say I am quite proud of the dinner we had tonight! I’m not trying to toot my own horn, but, TOOT TOOT! 😉 Tonight I made Italian Baked Porkchops from Sandra Lee’s cookbook and tried a new recipe for brown rice. I was searching around for a quinoa recipe with almonds but didn’t find any that my taster was tuned to so I took pieces of recipes (especially with ingredients I already had) and made this dish. (We also had killer salads with lots of fun stuff in them and some homemade balsamic vinaigrette… How do I know they were killer? Brian said, “Don’t take this the wrong way, but this is a good salad.” Score!) 😀
- 1 C brown rice
- 2 C vegetable stock
- 1 bunch asparagus (16-18 stalks), woodsy ends removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 – 1/3 C toasted sliced almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook brown rice in vegetable stock until all moisture is absorbed.
- Steam asparagus or drizzle with olive oil and broil.
- Toast almonds on low heat until they are slightly browned. You’ll know they’re close when they start popping and smell really good.
- Sauté garlic in olive oil and butter on low heat until light brown. Be careful — don’t let it burn.
- After the rice is cooked add asparagus, almonds, and garlic with the e.v.o.o. and butter. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.
We really enjoyed it. I think it would be tasty with as sprinkle of Parmesan cheese. If you make this or have any good ideas for additions, do share!