Yields 4 servings
- 1 C brown rice
- 2 C vegetable stock
- 1 bunch asparagus (16-18 stalks), woodsy ends removed, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/4 – 1/3 C toasted sliced almonds
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook brown rice in vegetable stock until all moisture is absorbed.
- Steam asparagus or drizzle with olive oil and broil.
- Toast almonds on low heat until they are slightly browned. You’ll know they’re close when they start popping and smell really good.
- Sauté garlic in olive oil and butter on low heat until light brown. Be careful — don’t let it burn.
- After the rice is cooked add asparagus, almonds, and garlic with the e.v.o.o. and butter. Mix well and add salt and pepper to taste.