When I was home this summer my aunt hosted all of the girl-cousins (and great aunts and nieces, etc.) to celebrate family and enjoy a lunch together. She made this AWESOME black bean yam (sweet potato if you’re in the south) mixture. We’ll call it a salad, for lack of a better word. I thought I’d share it!
- 3 medium yams (~1lb. peeled and cut into 3/4 inch squares)
- 1 can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1/2 medium red onion-finely chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1tbsp fresh lime juice (or more to taste)
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- coarse salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 450F. Place diced yams on baking sheet, drizzle with 2 tbsp olive oil and season with red pepper flakes and salt and pepper. Roast until tender, tossing halfway through (~30-35 minutes).
- Whisk lime juice with remaining olive oil. Season with a little more salt and pepper.
- Add yams, beans, onion and cilantro. Mix gently to combine. Excellent served warm or cold.
Note: Do not reheat after combining; serve fresh.